Buying presents for the screenwriter in your life can be both fun and frustrating, but we scoured the internet to make the process easier. Our 2022 Holiday Gift Guide for Screenwriters is chock full of the most desirable, impactful, and unique present ideas, so whether you’re buying for yourself or buying for a screenwriting buddy, you’re bound to find something interesting to wrap up.
Stuff to Read
Screenwriters write a lot but they also read a lot — hopefully. Whether it’s a time-tested tome on the craft or a weird novel by one of the best screenwriters working today, these books belong on every writer’s bookshelf.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King: $12.49 on Amazon | $14.99 on Barnes & Noble
- Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee: $28.29 on Amazon | $37.99 on Barnes & Noble
- Writing Movies for Fun and Profit by Thomas Lennon: $18.00 on Amazon | $18.00 on Barnes & Noble
- How NOT to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make by Denny Martin Flinn: $17.54 on Amazon | $17.99 on Barnes & Noble
- The Screenwriter’s Bible by David Trottier: $23.95 on Amazon | $23.95 on Barnes & Noble
- Antkind: A Novel by Charlie Kaufman: $4.25 on Amazon | $16.99 on Barnes & Noble
- Cinema Speculation by Quentin Tarantino: $21.86 on Amazon | $28.99 on Barnes & Noble
- A24 Screenplay Books: $60
Read More: The Best Screenwriting Books for Screenwriters!
Screenwriter-Friendly Gift Cards
Whether it’s for movie tickets or streaming access, here are some essential gift cards you can stuff in your screenwriter’s stockings.
- AirBnb (There’s nothing better than a paid writing getaway!)
- Disney Plus
- Amazon Prime Video
- The Criterion Channel
- Apple TV
- Paramount Plus
- Script City (Let them pick their favorite screenplays!)
Subscriptions, Software, & E-Courses
Want to give the gift of learning? Then maybe a subscription to some e-courses, screenwriting software, or online classes are up your alley.
- Final Draft 12 Screenwriting Software: $199
- Masterclass: $180 for one year (We recommend classes taught by Aaron Sorkin, Shonda Rhimes, David Lynch, Spike Lee, Judd Apatow, David Mamet, Neil Gaiman, and Martin Scorsese.)
- Scriptnotes Premium: $29.94 for six months | $49 for one year
- ScreenCraft Screenwriting e-Courses: $49
- TSL 360: $12 for Monthly All-Access | $99 for Annual All-Access
- Script Anatomy Courses & Workshops: purchase gifts for $50 – $2,500
- IMDbPro: $149.99 or $19.99 per month
Script Coverage & Competitions
Sometimes a deadline and professional feedback on their script is the best thing to open during the holidays.
It can be really nervewracking choosing the right screenwriting competition as a writer, but it must be damn-near impossible as someone who’s just holiday shopping for one. To take out some of the guesswork, check out Coverfly, which features contests that are vetted, reputable, and lead to success stories. Entry fees can be anywhere from $30 to $70, so make sure to load up a gift card with enough funds.
Script coverage provides screenwriters the chance to get professional eyes on their work. They’re given notes, insight, and guidance by an industry pro reader.
Recommended coverage programs include:
- WeScreenplay Format-Based Coverage: $59.99 – $199.99 (*Gift Cards available)
- ScreenCraft Genre-Based Notes: starts at $95
- Launch Pad Development & Studio Notes: $125
- TSL Notes: $39 – $119
Fun Stuff for Writers
If the screenwriter in your life wants something practical — or just funny and ridiculous — here’s a list of inexpensive stocking stuffers and big ticket items that’ll make them so happy they’ll write you into their next script.
- Laughing Rocks Multiverse Poster from A24: FREE
- Everyone Says I’m Adorable Bathroom Poster from A24: FREE
- Vomit Draft Formatted Screenwriting Notebook: $8.77
- A24 Office Notebook: $12
- Write On Shirt: $12.99
- Eat. Sleep. Screenwriting. T-Shirt: $19.18
- Light Me While Writing Candle: $20.39
- Coverfly Enamel Mug: $21.00
- Writer Evolution T-Shirt from Production Apparel: $23.00
- Storyclock Workbook from Plot Devices: $24.99
- Lap Desk: $25 – $50
- Creative Block: 100+ Brainstorming Card Ideas: $34.99
- The Green Knight: A Fantasy Roleplaying Game: $35
- Hot Dog Finger Gloves (from Everything Everywhere All At Once): $36
- Hereditary Gingerbread Treehouse Kit: $62
- Retro Typewriter Keyboard: $128.99
- Bose Noise-Canceling Headphones: $249
Want More Gift Ideas? Check Out ScreenCraft’s 2021 Holiday Gift Guide for Screenwriters!
Ken Miyamoto has worked in the film industry for nearly two decades, most notably as a studio liaison for Sony Studios and then as a script reader and story analyst for Sony Pictures.
He has many studio meetings under his belt as a produced screenwriter, meeting with the likes of Sony, Dreamworks, Universal, Disney, Warner Brothers, as well as many production and management companies. He has had a previous development deal with Lionsgate, as well as multiple writing assignments, including the produced miniseries Blackout, starring Anne Heche, Sean Patrick Flanery, Billy Zane, James Brolin, Haylie Duff, Brian Bloom, Eric La Salle, and Bruce Boxleitner, the feature thriller Hunter’s Creed, and many produced and distributed Lifetime thrillers. Follow Ken on Twitter @KenMovies
The post ScreenCraft’s 2022 Holiday Gift Guide for Screenwriters appeared first on ScreenCraft.
Go to Source
Author: Ken Miyamoto